Clean layer model of the internet?

Dear Jon,
I can't help but pick on this:

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 15:07 +0000, Jon Hanna wrote:
> Property : Clean layer model
> Tech     : IP stack
> Value2Web: Simplicity. Clear definition of "application protocol" for
> http to fulfil.
>
> Property : Protocol independence.
> Tech     : IP stack
> Value2Web: Ability to use encrypted connections when desired by
> including SSL etc. Free gains of benefits in IP or TCP technology.

You say "application protocol" layer is cleanly defined in the IP stack,
and then you say that you can include SSL under another protocol (e.g.
under HTTP to get HTTPS). But then, on which layer is SSL? It's built on
top of TCP, but used under HTTPS just like TCP is used under HTTP. And
HTTPs is on the same layer as HTTP, I assume.

So it seems to me that the two properties above collide in their
value2web fields, and frankly, I'd drop the first property, "clean layer
model", because I don't think it is. It may be a "simple layered model",
but I think that's the point of the second property.

Anyway, should the TAG document this? I think a collection of properties
such as most of those already proposed (including Jon's, of course)
could be a nice educational material.

Best regards,
Jacek