Re: Terminology (was Re: article on URIs, is this material that can be used by the)

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 17:36 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
[...]
> I know that y'all don't want to even think about
> stuff like this, and that (as Tim once said) I'm
> like a quantum theorist who keeps complaining
> about a document written for engineers. But my
> point is that since part of the Web is now
> semantic, and since y'all are using semantic
> language here, that you should at least be aware
> how your words might be misunderstood by the
> quantum theorists who are actually doing some of
> the engineering these days.

Yes, I stipulate that webarch vol 1 admits unintended
models.

I maintain that there is a consistent intended
model of webarch vol 1 that separates access
and reference; I'd like to get you to see it,
but perhaps that's more trouble than its worth;
I don't expect the outcome of the present
discussion will be to go back and change webarch
volume 1, since it was written mostly
*outside* the context of the semantic web,
i.e. "for engineers".

The deliverable of the present discussion
is a finding on httpRange-14, which is
where the theory and practice of this
stuff meet. It's worthwhile getting it right
this time. So yes, we do want to think
about this stuff; or at least: I do.

More on some of the details later, perhaps.