Re: [passwordInTheClear-52]: A summary of where I think we are.

Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) scripsit:

> 1) Some regard that there are reasonable use cases for weak protection
> of passwords - and demur against the Good Practice advice: "A client or
> browser SHOULD NOT transmit passwords in clear text."

[snip]

> 	a desire to find a reliable basis on which to advise that UA's
> detect weakly protected password transfers;

This combination strikes me as counterproductive.  I have made decisions
I consider to be rational that low-security passwords suffice for
certain kinds of sites: for example, sites that let me subscribe or
unsubscribe to mailing lists.  If my browser yammers every time I
deal with such a site, I will shut it up, get someone else to shut it up,
or find a less compliant but more usable browser.  I don't think I'm
alone in this feeling.

--
All Norstrilians knew what laughter was:        John Cowan
it was "pleasurable corrigible malfunction".    cowan@ccil.org