Re: using DTDs to ground semantics of XML/XHTML documents? [RDFinXHTML-35]

OK, thanks.

--------------------------------------
Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
1-617-693-4036
--------------------------------------

Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Sent by: www-tag-request@w3.org
06/20/2007 04:34 PM

        To:     noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
        cc:     Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>,
swick <swick@w3.org>, www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
        Subject:        Re: using DTDs to ground semantics of XML/XHTML
documents?      [RDFinXHTML-35]

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 14:42 -0400, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I'm feeling dense here.  My understanding of the pertinent parts of the
> Web's Follow Yer Nose algorithm is:  get the Content-type from HTTP;
find
> the specification for that content type;  the specification will tell
you
> what semantics you can infer from the document.  So, to my naive
reading,
> for RDFa to have full force in HTML, whichever content type you're using

> would have to say in it's specification:  if you see RDFa in the
document,
> here's its meaning (presumably by delegating to the RDFa
specifications.)
> How do DTDs help?

Briefly, not fact-checking my claims...

The application/xhtml+xml mime type spec points to the
XHTML modularization spec, which tells how to do XHTML
extensions using DTDs.