Re: article on URIs, is this material that can be used by the SWEO IG?

Tim Berners-Lee writes:

> Pat Hayes writes:

>> The basic problem, seems to me, is that y'all (by which I mean the
>> TAG mostly) are using words like "represent" far too loosely.
>
> The TAG uses (I hope)  tag:representation only as a relationship
> between a tag:InformationResource and a tag:Representation, the
> latter being the class of (bits, metadata) pairs.  It is not
> transitive.  (I would say that its range and domain do not even
> overlap)
>
> When you see people on the www-tag list using words more loosely,
> they may be trying to understand the architecture, or suggesting it
> be modified, or talking about how  systems other than the semantic
> web work, do not assume that the use of words is consistent with the
> constrained use in the arch document, and later discussions of the
> semantic web architecture, try to achieve.

_Mea culpa_.  It is clear that (a webarch:representation of (an image
of Bill Clinton)), which is what you can get by issuing an HTTP GET
for
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cph/3c00000/3c07000/3c07700/3c07700r.jpg,
is not (a webarch:representation of Bill Clinton), whatever ordinary
language usage may suggest to the contrary.

And the TAG's httpRange-14 resolution depends crucially on insisting
in consequence that

 (http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cph/3c00000/3c07000/3c07700/3c07700r.jpg
   webarch:identifies
  (an image of Bill Clinton))

and _not_

 (http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cph/3c00000/3c07000/3c07700/3c07700r.jpg
   webarch:identifies
  Bill Clinton)

I continue to believe that clarifying the relationship between
webarch language, e.g. webarch:identifies and webarch:represents, and
both ordinary language usage and usage in the formal logic/philosophy
of language traditions, would be helpful. . .

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk