Re: [httpRange-14]: New Draft Finding "Dereferencing HTTP URIs"

David Booth wrote:
>> From: Ed Davies
>> [ . . . ]
>> Good points: 1) 303 can point to a non-RDF document whereas
>> rdf:seeAlso shouldn't, 2) 303 should point to an authoritative
>> document rather than just any old document which happens to say
>> something about the original resource
>> and 3) 303 is functional whereas seeAlso isn't.
>> [ . . . ]
>
> Yes, great points.  However, even though #2 is how we might *like*
> things to work, I am uncertain that the HTTP spec actually licenses that
> rule.  ...

Yes, maybe "authoritative" is a bit strong but you do at
least know that the owner of the original URI thinks
that's a good place to go.  In that sense, it's more
trustworthy than some other references might be.

On reflection, I'm starting to wonder if treating 303 as
being equivalent to any sort of functional property is a
bad idea.  This is because it is a relationship between
the original _URI_ and some destination resource, not the
original _resource_.  Two URIs which refer to the same
original resource can 303 to two different destination
resources.  So, from the point of view of resources,
303 is a many-to-many relationship.  Therefore, modulo
the issue with the destination possibly being a non-RDF
resource, I'll go back to my original suggestion of
rdf:seeAlso as the equivalent.

Ed Davies.