Re: XML Binding Language (XBL) 2.0 -- Agenda item?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:56:38 +0100
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, www-tag@w3.org

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:46:44 +0100, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
wrote:
> But your reply, which is echoed in the spec., confuses me.  When I
> point my browser at an XML document with an <?xml-stylesheet. . .?>
> PI, e.g. [1], in what sense does anything "alter the underlying DOM"?
>
> The XML DOM is left alone, an new HTML DOM is built, and rendered.
>
> XSLT is spec'd to produce a new, distinct result tree, certainly not
> to modify its input. . .

XSLT:

   Original DOM -> XSLT -> New DOM

XBL:

   Original DOM

XBL only affects the rendering tree (where I mean rendering in a
media-neutral way) while the DOM stays the same. It also has the features
T.V Raman mentioned such as binding behaviors to an element.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>