Re: Offline operation of a Web application

Hi Ken,

The Web API WG charter <http://www.w3.org/2006/webapi/admin/charter>
includes;

> An API specification for persistent storage on the client.
> This deliverable allows the Web application to store information
> such as user preferences in a protected area on the client machine.
> The storage system should have limited capacity and must have a
> clear security model. This facilitates more advanced Web
> applications, enabling them to store user preferences and possibly
> work in an offline environment, such as a laptop or mobile phone
> with intermittent connectivity.
> Tentative milestones: First draft of specification 1st quarter
> 2006. Candidate Recommendation 1st quarter of 2007.
Personally, I'd like to see this described as part of the Web; e.g.,
as an extension of the caching model, with URIs for the persisted
data, rather than making it "just" an API. I've sort-of volunteered
to do some work in this area, but have a lot of other things going
on, unfortunately...

You might want to ask the WG if they've made any progress on this.

Cheers,