Re: [httpRange-14] What is an Information Resource?

Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> Im as confused as you are. It seems to me that the whole story about
>>> 'information resources' is muddled. I don't know what an "essential
>>> characteristic" is. I was just responding to the ideas as best I can.
>>>
>>> I would prefer to simply say that some HTTP endpoints are considered
>>> to be resources, while others are not.
>>
>> I guess you mean "information resources" here; all things are
>> resources, still (in RDF/OWL speak)?
>
> No, I really did mean resources. If my URI is intended to denote, say,
> Jupiter, then Jupiter is a resource (though that terminology should
> change, IMO). But the thingie that catches my URI and redirects it to
> something else, emitting a 303 as it does so: THAT thing is not a
> resource at all, not even an information resource. Or at any rate, if it
> is one, then you can only refer to it with a different URI, because my
> URI denotes Jupiter.

A different thingie, sure. But if it exists in the world (as networking
thingies do) but isn't a "resource", then you've stopped using
"Resource" in the inclusive sense given by
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#gloss

"Resource (n.)(as used in RDF)(i) An entity; anything in the universe.
(ii) As a class name: the class of everything; the most inclusive
category possible."

I agree that it's an unfortunate word to use; I prefer "thing". Too late
for existing specs, but I see no reason to prolong the agony.
"Information Thing" is no worse than "Information Resource"...

Dan