Re: httpRange-14 - what are the use-cases?

On Dec 5, 2007 10:38 AM, Mikael Nilsson <mikael@nilsson.name> wrote:

> II. Allow 200 for non-IRs.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris can now be used to denote Paris,
> the city. It returns 200 Ok, with an xiaoshu:representation of Paris,
> i.e. some useful information about Paris.
> X = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris
>
> Charlotte has noticed this, and produced the triple
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris>
> owl:sameAs <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris>
>
> which Bob sees in his harvester. Thus, Bob can smush the two resources,
> and ends up with
>
> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris> ex:annotation "Not suitable for
> making travel plans. Also, very bad grammar and difficult to read."

No he doesn't, because Charlotte wasn't silly enough to state that
Paris is not suitable for making travel plans, has very bad grammar,
and is difficult to read.

She may have written something like the following:

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris>  web:representation [
   ex:annotation """Not suitable for making travel plans. Also,
very bad grammar and difficult to read.""" ] .

Or, a bit more interestingly, we may define ex:annotation to apply to
the content you get eventually when you dereference a URI. That'd even
work on 303 cases, because you might 303 the dbpedia Paris page to the
Wikipedia Paris page, right?

It'd probably be better to work on a particular representation though
because grammar and so forth changes on Wikipedia, as we all know.

I think it was good of you to try to come up with a use case; we
definitely need to see more of this. I rather liked Richard Cyganiak's
summary that we pushed the problem of what a URI identifies into a
smaller corner of the web architecture, because that certainly was a
big issue w.r.t. EARL circa 2002.

Nowadays I think that foaf:primaryTopic is probably enough of a
solution to carry many of the use case worries I had back then,
though.

--
Sean B. Palmer, http://inamidst.com/sbp/