RE: New draft of Elaborated Infosets document (xmlFunctions-34)

Hello Henry,

My functional programming and lamda calc bakground is virtually non-existent, but I've been making some progress are absorbing http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/compositional.pdf. At least enough to spot some *possible* typo's/inconsistencies (or simply lack of understanding on my part).

Eqns 4-6 and sequel spell out the symbol 'lambda' whereas earlier and subsequent formulae use a greek letter symbol

Eqn (8): add_to_graph(<triple>) seems strangely imperative for such an otherwise functional formulation. Would it be more in keeping with the overall style to say 'in_graph(<triple>)' or some other appropriate predicate? [of course you could argue 'add_to_graph' is just a predicate and I'm reading too much into its name.]

Eqns (8-11): use a function(?) 'a' which appears to retrieve the value of an attribute (used for rdf:about and rdf:resource) on an rdf:Description element is not explained in the narrative, or perhaps given eqn (7), its that 'e.a' introduced as attributes is (possibly) a function(?) between attribute name and attribute value.

Conclusion:

Re 1st bullet: - "The compositional semantics of an XML language"

I' m interested in what you might be claiming has been accomplished. It seems to me that in this formulation the meaning of attributes is very much scoped by the elements in which they occur (you treat them separately, I think, from the children of an element)... so for say, something like xlink which as a syntax lives entirely within attributes... is it possible to independently specify the compositional properties of xlink. I can quite accept an answer that would say, well actually xlink isn't an XML language at all, it is a component of a language that may be cited in the defn of a language and it is that language which can have a compositional semantic.

For XML I'd find an example of what the element label (e.l) arising from an element with say attributes and complex content is useful. eg. is it the full text of the element from opening tag to closing tag, possibly, though not necessarily, canonicalised?

Thanks,

Stuart
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England