Re: The meaning of "representation"

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Xiaoshu Wang wrote
>
>> Second, information is embedded in a message, i..e, it is the
>> content of the message, yes?
>>

>>> [Noah Mendelsohn wrote]:
>>>
>>> No.  Assuming binary coding is used, the message is a
>>>
>> sequence of bits. It
>>
>>> is presumed that the sender and receiver agree in advance on
>>>
>> the range of
>>
>>> possible information values (my term, not Shannon's), that a
>>>
>> given message
>>
>>> might convey;  each distinct message essentially selects one of those
>>> values.    From Shannon's 1948 paper [1]:
>>>

>> I take the 'no' means that the message is not embedded?
>>

> Your original quote was that "information is embedded in a message."  I
> was saying "no" to that;  I don't believe it is best to think of
> information being "embedded" in a message.  Presuming that the sending and
> receiving parties share the necessary assumptions about encoding, messages

I am not sure if I have misunderstand. Do you want to say that
"information *is* bit-stream"?  Then modeling information becomes the
task of modeling bits?  I am not sure how that will work.  But, other
the other hand, all other description, embed, convey , transmit, etc.
are just different wording: because they all make information a property
of the message (bit-stream), do you agree?

Xiaoshu