Re: Proposed disposition of Stuart Williams' comments on Metadata in URI 31

Marty,

On 9/27/06, Schleiff, Marty <marty.schleiff@boeing.com> wrote:
> By "scheme-type information" I mean the type of information we can
> recognize in a URI based on its scheme. Examples might include:
>
>  - which protocol to use (like ftp)
>  - allowed and disallowed characters (like IRIs - I think)
>  - meaning of positional query string parameters (like ldap attributes,
> scope, and filter)
>  - whether or not it is intended as a persistent identifier (like urn)
>  - whether or not it is even dereferencable (like urn)
>  - whether or not to use SSL (like https)
>  - on-click behavior (like mailto - bring up a mailer)
>  - scheme-specific normalization and comparison rules

Ok, so going back to your question, which was;

] How's an application supposed
] to know that "<newSchemeOrganization>.org" is intended to convey
] scheme-type information, while "<otherOrganization>.org" does not convey
] scheme-type information?

Most of the information you list above is available via either the URI
generic syntax, or a scheme specific syntax.  The exceptions would be;

- dereferenceable or not - which isn't a property of the URI, it's a
property of the infrastructure available to agents attempting to
dereference it
- on-click behaviour - ditto
- meaning of query params - a good example of information that can be
communicated by dereferencing an identifier (e.g. HTML forms).
- persistence - depends on the authority minting the URI.  I could
well imagine communicating the persistence policy in the
representations

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the value of presenting
information via the URI itself, versus in the data returned by
dereferencing the URI.

Mark.