Re: A precedent suggesting a compromise for the SWHCLS IG Best Practices (ARK)

Excellent response! I 95% heartedly agree (all but the "I stand by
LSIDS part" :)

I will note however that whenever there are versions of something,
there tends to some concept of the thing that they are versions of.
So even though there are versions of the sequence, there ought to
still be some thing which represents the thing that all the versions
are of.

Back to your point, is there anyone out there who has minted LSIDs
for genes and for the sequences distinctly and related them? Do the
gene LSIDs ever get versions? Do the sequence LSIDs ever not have
versions? When there are different authorities for the genes and
sequences, what are the relations that people use to relate them?
Let's put these examples on the table.

If any one has done this in the context of NCBI databases in
particular I think it would be helpful to share the specifics of how
these ids were used and conceptualized.

My experience has been that there is routine confusion of the sort
that you describe throughout the life sciences community and that
this bleeds into the discussion of identifiers (as it just did,
though I have to admit I was baiting for exactly this discussion :)

I frequently see genes, transcripts, dna and mrna and their
sequences, proteins, protein sequences, transcripts,  and peptides
all confusedly identified by overlapping identifiers. I don't see how
any identifier scheme, in itself, lsid's included, currently fixes
this problem.   It is this problem that I personally want to see
progress on.

LSID's contract seems more to do with persistence, mutability,
cacheability, and discoverability of byte sequences  - not around
issues of the identifiers and their relations making ontological sense.

While I understand that in some contexts the issues around data
management are central, they aren't in all contexts. Because I think
that optimization of the data management issues, while in some ways
elegantly handled by the LSID protocol, aren't central to the issue
of representation in the life sciences, and because I don't see LSID
addressing the representation issues, I worry that  imposing the use
of the LSID protocol puts a burden on all, for the benefit of
relatively few.  And for those relatively few who are going to go out
of their way to have internal copies of data and the like, I don't
see why a custom system that is circumvents http for efficiency
reasons is too much of a burden.

How do you see things otherwise?

-Alan

(Being deliberately provocative here - my assigned role in this
debate :)