Re: Draft of TAG position on use of unregistered media types in W3C Recommendations

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> * W3C Recommendations may and indeed should refer to unregistered media
> types when necessary to meet the needs of users, e.g. when required for
> proper interaction with widely deployed software.  In such
> circumstances, it is typically appropriate for the Recommendation itself
> or for the materials accompanying the submission of the Proposed
> Recommendation to briefly explain the reason for dependence on an
> unregistered format.

I strongly disagree with this last point. Proper registration of all
necessary media types should be a prerequisite for final publication of
a recommendation. That is, a recommendation MUST NOT be issued until all
  referenced media types have been properly registered. It's not like
it's all that hard for a media type to be registered.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!