Re: XBL Namespace uses the data: scheme

On Jul 19, 2006, at 10:18, ext Dan Connolly wrote:

> I wonder if you would be willing to serve as arbiter of the list of
> yearless namespace names.
> How would you decide when to give one out?
>
> I still have my reservations, but I'm getting the impression that
> this policy is going to change soonish.
> We're currently considering
> 	http://www.w3.org/ns/foo
> e.g.
> 	http://www.w3.org/ns/xbl

For what it's worth, we've found it useful to include a major
edition number with each (yearless) namespace name, which allows
for an intuitive and simple naming progression for future
major editions of a given vocabulary -- where all new versions
for a major edition are required to be backwards compatible and
thus may all share the same edition specific namespace name.

E.g.

    http://some.host/someNamespace-1/
    http://www.w3.org/ns/foo-1
    http://www.w3.org/ns/xbl-1

etc.

Then, when a major new edition is published which is not backwards
compatible with the previous, all that need differ in the namespace
URI is the edition number, which tends to be easily understood and
appreciated by humans while providing the necessary lexical distinction
for applications to differentiate terms belonging to the two editions
which may have differing semantics. E.g.

    http://www.w3.org/ns/xbl-2
    http://www.w3.org/ns/foo-3

etc...

Cheers,

Patrick

--

Patrick Stickler
Senior Solutions Architect

phone:  +1 469 939 7017
email:  patrick.stickler@nokia.com

Forum Nokia provides a wealth of resources to mobile
developers. For the latest on mobile tools, devices and
technologies, go to http://www.forum.nokia.com