Re: Computer Misuse Act breaks WebArch (ws Re: Section 5.4.2 of RFC 3986 not actually 'legal' syntax_)

As for the original case Henry commented upon...
I know it's an edge case, but there are occassions when one *wants* one
any user to access
URIs by using the ".../..." directory changing procedure to access
possible URIs.
 For example, on my website www.semanticstories.org/corpus, I post
various the entire directory
structure of a project straight from my unix box to to the Web, and
*fully* expect
visitors to navigate around using the ../... methodology. I guess I
could have automatically
generated a HTML file via perl listing all the files and
directories...but why bother? Any user can use
their common-sense to navigate around the site via just deleting the
last bit of the URI and moving
"up a directory".

I think the Web community would generally support a TAG statement on
this issue, as it seems to
be setting a truly disturbing legal precedent that directly conflicts
with the principles of Web architecture.

                                -harry

Harry Halpin
www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin
Uni. of Edinburgh