Re: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

On Feb 22, 2005, at 23:19, ext Karl Dubost wrote:

> For example how do I know if I use xml:id version 1.0 or xml:id
> version 2.0 (if there will be one in the future? Or even funnier if
> xml:id becomes part of a future XML 2.0

IMO, the introduction of xml:id reflects an increment in the
minor version of XML, and thus applications should be able
to refer to the version of XML prior to the introduction
of this attribute and the version of XML including this
attribute in a distinct manner.

E.g.

<?xml version="1.1" ...>        no xml:id
<?xml version="1.2" ...>        xml:id

What has changed is XML, not the XML namespace, thus the
specification of the version of XML should change; allowing
applications to be clear about whether xml:id should be
intepreted per the official specification (i.e. v1.2 or
later) or in a proprietary manner, or ignored entirely
(i.e. v1.1 or earlier).

Patrick