Re: [XMLVersioning-41] Scope

* David Orchard wrote:
>I'm somewhat confused by what you are calling a "protocol". I think
>you are calling XML 1.x, XPath, XPointer, XQuery, etc. protocols.

A protocol is a set of rules determining format and transmission of
data. People speak of "SOAP documents" for example and using MathML
as "protocol for input or output" of mathematical data. Your under-
standing of the term does not seem to fit well with common usage.

>But I do think that a significant portion of work that the W3C is
>doing is XML based. Some examples are XHTML, Voice, WS-Addressing,
>SOAP, WSDL, etc. These, and the many other users of XML, are all well
>served by an XML Schema based e/v story.

It would be helpful if you could explain how XML Schema should im-
pact the design of XHTML, SVG, and SMIL. Currently XML Schema is of
little or no relevance for the design of these formats. I do in fact
not quite understand how one would base such design on XML Schema.
If the processing model depends on XML Schema processing you have a
quite different situation, but I do not think the TAG should focus
on this case.

>I'm getting the impression that the TAG finding as it stands is
>really missing the mark for you. The things that are currently in it
>(data formats + predominantly xml schema) are not the areas that you
>are interested in, which seem to be functional formats without much
>concern for XML Schema.

I am interested in material that will help protocol designers in
protocol evolution and re-use discussions generally, and designers
of XML-based "formats" specifically which has little to do with
functional versus non-functional languages. My interest here is
relative to how easily and quickly changes can be made thoughout
the system, the more difficult it is and the longer it takes to
make changes, the more important to have a compelling evolution
story.