Re: [XMLVersioning-41] Comments and Suggestions on Draft Extensibility Finding

Le 20 févr. 2005, à 12:30, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com a écrit :
> I. Pros and cons of extensibility
> I suspect that similar tradeoffs will apply as XML vocabularies are
> designed for other purposes:  extensibility tends to stand in
> opposition
> to interoperability, and both are important.  I think the finding
> would be
> much stronger if it explored such tradeoffs, and gave some more nuanced
> guidance as to when things should be locked down and when they should
> be
> extensible.

Yes, It has always been the position of the QA WG.

[[[
To accommodate changes in technology and information on the Web, a
specification can be designed for extensibility. A specification is
extensible when it provides a mechanism to allow an external party to
create extensions. Extensions incorporate additional features beyond
what is defined in the specification. However, extensions can
compromise interoperability if there are too many differences between
implementations. The impact of extensions can be mitigated through
features specifically designed to allow new functionality. These
features provide a 'standard way to be non-standard' by including
hooks, conformance rules, or other mechanisms by which new
functionality may be added in a conforming way, designated as
extensibility mechanism.
]]] -http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qaframe-spec-20041122/#extensions

>  In fact, such analysis could be one of the essential
> contributions of the finding.  Yes, the answer is often to provide for
> certain forms of extensibility, but we shouldn't recommend that
> blindly. I
> think this is a subtle question that's particularly appropriate to the
> scope and mission of the TAG.

It's why one of the requirements of QA Specification GL is to address
the topic of Extensibility in the technology which has been defined. QA
Specification Guidelines being here a tool to help a working group to
really think about it and do this cost/benefit analysis.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***