Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hendrikx-wallis-urn-nzl-00.txt

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 15:35 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> This is really disappointing, but entirely predictable.
> People (and governments) are being sold on URNs based on
> a false pretense -- that being "location independent" makes
> an identifier more persistent.  To make matters worse, they
> assume that NZL will forever remain the three-letter code
> for New Zealand.  *sigh*

And a .nz ccTLD in an "http" URI will? The assignment policy for URN
NIDs is permanent. Forever. Full Stop. So that NID will belong to the
New Zealand government forever. The point is that the identifier is
network independent, not location independent. A URN namespace stays
assigned to its owner whether or not ICANN, DNS, HTTP, or the W3C exist.

I was hoping we were passed this "my scheme is bigger than your scheme"
contest....

-MM

--
Michael Mealling <michael@neonym.net>