threading standards [was: Link to ...]

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 21:38 -0500, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
[...]
> Speaking of tools: it would really be valuable if someone could fix the
> broken threading in W3C email archives.  Whatever heuristic is used does
> not in fact work well at all.

It would be even more valuable if someone could fix the broken
threading in popular mail user agents so that the W3C service
wouldn't have to rely on heuristics and could simply implement
open standards.

 Threading: Message-ID, References, In-Reply-To
 http://cr.yp.to/immhf/thread.html

>   In my own email program, I just strip extra
> whitespace and leading "re:", indepdent of case, and then sort by date.
> The result seems to be quite robust in presenting most threads, including
> those situations in which wierd mailers insert extra whitespace.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E