RE: [schemeProtocols-49] New draft of proposed "URI Schemes and Web Protocols" Finding

Larry Masinter writes:

> I disagree, fairly profoundly, with "4.3.1 R7. Try any protocol
> for any resource", as stated. That's a Humpty-Dumpty rule, as
> if you were saying "In English, any word can mean whatever you
> want it to mean".
>
>  [...]
>
> Of course, someone who has information through some other route
> might decide they can do something else (such as 'use a peer-
> to-peer protocol') but this out-of-band transfer of information
> is crucial.
>
>  [...]
>
> But your rule R7 doesn't have any such contextual restriction,
> and so I think it makes no sense, as is.

I do understand your concern, but I think my finding offers just the
necessary context in rule R2 [1], which requires that:

"A server MUST serve resources faithfully. Regardless of the protocol
used, the server is responsible for ensuring that the correct resource is
accessed, that operations are correctly implemented according to the
specifications for the protocol, and thus that the correct resource state
is either retrieved or updated."

I'm not trying to imply that it's in all cases a good idea for a user
agent to access resources using a random or otherwise silly protocol, but
I'm claiming that the architecture in no case prohibits them trying should
they wish to, and crucially, that the rules provided make it safe to do
so.  Consider a resource in an arbitrary scheme "x"
(x://example/org/resource) and attempt to access it with seemingly
unrelated protocol RANDOM.  R2 requires that one of two things will
happen:

A. If the server reports back success using the mechanisms of protocol
RANDOM then per R2 you have indeed succeeded in retrieving information
from or updating the state of that resource.  The server MUST NOT report
success unless it has accessed the intended resource and succeeded in the
requested manipulation.

-or-

B. The server MUST fail the interaction, in which case no harm is done
except for some wasted effort.

This doesn't seem Humpty Dumpty to me at all;  it's two complementary
rules that work together to establish some very useful guarantees.   You
can try any protocol for any resource, and it worst you will get a
reliable indication that nothing has been done.  That makes it safe to
try, which is what rule R7 [2] says:

"A user agent MAY to attempt to access any resource using any protocol.
Insofar as networks are free from misconfiguration and tampering, any
response received is by definition authoritative, regardless of whether
the scheme is one traditionally associated with the protocol."

With those rules in place, the finding then acknowledges that as a
guideline [3], one should whenever practical deploy with the protocol(s)
associated with a scheme (HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1 in the case of the http
protocol, FTP for ftp), as is traditional.  That in turn justifies
suggesting that the default behavior of user agents indeed be to select a
protocol based on the scheme, when there is such an association [4].

I won't be surprised if the above line of reasoning doesn't completely
convince you, as we clearly start this discussion some distance apart.  I
don't think that what I'm proposing has the Humpty Dumpty weakness you
ascribe to it.  I think I've suggested rules that are quite strong in
their guarantees that either the system works or an error is reported.  I
believe that these capture the general case of what's happening on the Web
today, but I'll be curious to see what my fellow experts on the TAG think
when we discuss this at our F2F on Monday.  Obviously there will be lots
more discussion, with you and others, before anything gets set down in the
form of a finding.  Thank you as always for taking the trouble to comment.

Noah

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/schemeProtocols-2005-11-21.html#serverGoodFaith
[2]