RE: "information resource"

Yes.

> >My proposal is, and has been, that either the distinction/term
> >is not needed, or that a different term (label) be associated
> >with that distinction/definition.
> >

> So... would a different label for the concept, assuming we
> find one that
> met with general approval, address your original comment [1] to your
> satisfaction? ie. the concept stays, but we give it a
> different label .

Yes.

> I think that you are saying here and below that it would -
> although it's
> clear that you would prefer that no distinction were made.

Or that, the distinction is so fundamental that no special
term is needed.

It is enough, I think, to simply make clear the distinction
between resources in general versus resources which have
web accessible representations, and that the web machinery
is only concerned with the latter. Once you make that distinction,
nothing more need be said.

Though, I'm also not opposed to a distinct term to refer to
the class of resources having web accessible representations.

Applying KISS, it seems that either "web resource" or
"web accessible resource" would be the most obvious choices
(the former being more concise, and hence more convenient).

> >The use of the words "information resource" can be construed
> >as implicitly supporting TimBL's position rather than taking
> >a neutral stance pending resolution of httpRange-14.
> >

> Apart from the choice of label for the concept we have currently
> labelled "information resource"... is there anything else
> that you have
> found in the document that could be construed as an implicit
> resolution
> of httpRange-14?

Not that I would be inclined to make a case about.

The discussion of "secondary resources" has the potential
for fueling that debate, but I have nothing against the
definition of such a class of resources, on a technical
basis, nor with the way that class is defined and presented
in AWWW.

There may be dragons lurking in there somewhere, but I
can't say I can point one out ;-)

> >My explicit proposal would be to replace the words
> "information resource"
> >with either "web resource" or "web accessible resource" which IMO
> >would coincide more precisely with the actual definition and not
> >potentially imply any position relating to httpRange-14.
> >

> This again suggests, well more than suggests, that a change in label
> could address the comment to your satisfaction.

It would. And I would hope that that is also clear from my
original post.

> <snip/>

> named, including
> things that
> only such
> >>
> >>AWWW has taken a position on that. AWWW says:
> >>
> >>"We do not limit the scope of what might be a resource. The term
> >>"resource" is used in a general sense for whatever might be
> >>identified
> >>by a URI."
> >>
> >>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#id-resources
> >>

> >I appreciate the literal wording of AWWW on this matter. I'm
> concerned
> >simply with implicit meaning or potential interpretations which
> >extend beyond the literal wording.
> >

> A natural problem with natural language...
>
> >This particular post to which you are replying is as much a response
> >to TimBL's interpretation of the term "information resource" per AWWW
> >as to the potential for confusion about the meaning of this term.
> >

> I understand that, and TimBL has been challenged by others to support
> his interpretation by reference to the document itself. There
> may be a
> separate thread to be had on that topic (and I suspect you can find
> several ready made such threads in this archive :-)) but the topic in
> hand on this thread is or should be about what if anything needs to
> change in the document to satisfactorally address your comment.

Agreed. I am happy to restrict this thread to the issue of the
choice of label for the concept in question, and not to deeper
issues relating to httpRange-14 or other matters.

> use the same
> architecture.
> >>
> >>AFAICT tell AWWWW clearly takes position (a) above. Can you show me
> >>something in the document that advances position (b)?
> >>

> >The choice of the words "information resource" as the label for the
> >term used to differentiate web accessible resources from resources
> >in general.
> >

> So again, a different term label has potential to address
> your comment?

Yes.

Regards,

Patrick