RE: [XMLVersioning-41] Noah Mendelsohn Versioning Analysis for XML Schema WG (RESEND)

Noah,

WRT your text

"Our current wildcards allow content from any namespace, other
namespaces, or a list of designated namespaces.  These may not
necessarily be the most useful options for our versioning scenarios.
One proposal is to introduce a wildcard that would validate any element
not explicitly declared elsewhere in the schema (regardless of
namespace, or perhaps intersected with the existing namespace controls.)
This supports an idiom in which:  if I know about an element and I don't
explicitly call for it, that means I don't want it.  I personally think
we would want to use something like this in the schema for schemas.".

I've written up some thoughts on this at
http://www.pacificspirit.com/blog/2004/09/03/extensibility_at_the_right_
level_a_namespace_isnt_it

I've done a fair bit of thinking on this, and I'm thinking more and more
that the problem of multi-ns vocabularies means that the distinction
between "known" and "unknown" elements is as important as namespaces for
differentiating wildcards, and may get around UPA problems as well.

Cheers,
Dave

Of
> noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
> Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 1:26 PM
> To: www-tag@w3.org
> Cc: Dare Obasanjo
> Subject: [XMLVersioning-41] Noah Mendelsohn Versioning Analysis for
XML
> Schema WG (RESEND)
>
> RESEND TO CIRCUMVENT BUG IN W3C ARCHIVING SOFTWARE

> attachments, and subscribers to the list tell me that
> they received both.  Unfortunately, some bug in the w3c
> archiving software resulted in the two being combined
> in the archive in a manner that was not a clean
> copy of either.
>
> Since the bug seems to relate to sending two
> attachments at once, I am here attaching only the HTML
> version of the file.  The text version has already been
> reposted at [1].
>
> Sorry for any confusion.
>
> The text of my original note follows.  I suggest that
> discussion be held on the thread originating with this
> second copy.  Thank you.
>
> Noah
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2004Aug/att-
> 0009/NRMVersioningProposal.txt.
>
> TEXT OF ORIGINAL POSTING:
>
> In parallel with the Tag's analysis of versioning issues, the XML
Schema
> workgroup has been looking at the problem from an XML Schema
perspective.
> As part of that discussion, I prepared some notes that were posted
several

> weeks ago to the members-only schema-IG mailing list.  With the
permission

> of the workgroup, I am reposting them here where they can be viewed by
> non-W3C members.
>
> This analysis does NOT represent the considered position of the schema
WG,