RE: Towards a precise, reliable definition of "information resource"

Well, we all get tired of this seemingly endless debate, and my
additional comments were in direct response to Noah regarding
a neutral position about issue httpRange-14. Furthermore, even if
there are no further modifications to the definition of
"information resource", I still think it would be greatly beneficial
for readers of AWWW (and for the TAG) to produce and agree on such
a pair of lists. It seems the only reason why most/all parties
concerned appear to agree on what actually is an information resource
is based on the examples presented of what folks think can or cannot
be an information resource. Therefore, if that has been the true key
to achieving clarity and concensus, it should be encorporated into
the TAGs presentation.

Consider it a "parting suggestion" insofar as the definition of
"information resource" is concerned.

> or more recently (abeit with stated preconditions)  from
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webarch-comments/20
> 04OctDec/0097.html
>
> > The inclusion of the definition of "information resource" (albeit
> > imperfect) is reasonable, as the mere presence of a
> definition of such
> > a class of resources does not, or at least should not,
> imply that the
> > range of resources which http: URIs (or any other form of URI) can
> > identify is constrained solely to such a class of "information
> > resources". (though, IMO, the definition could be
> completely omitted
> > without AWWW incuring any notable loss of utility or coherence)
>
> This thread has grown long, folks are tired and need space to
> think

IMO, my comments to Noah regarding the adoption of a neutral stance
regarding this issue is precisely to enable AWWW to mature and stabilize
while allowing this issue to be put, as Noah suggests, on the back
burner -- so that folks can return to it at a later time when they
can apply more energy and experience to its resolution.

> (for
> themselves).

Tut tut, I'm sure that all members of the TAG are more than capable
of thinking for themselves, regardless of my input.

> Please let them have it.

I'm trying to.

To the degree that further editorial changes to AWWW truly reflect
a neutral position on issue httpRange-14, I will not likely be
motivated to readdress this issue to the TAG insofar as AWWW is
concerned.

Regards,

Patrick