RE: [Fwd: RE: "information resource"]

It also does not say that, given a URI which identifies
an information resource, that any web accessible representation
WILL include ALL of the information content of that resource.

> We shouldn't be surprised that there is some
> machine-representable state
> for a real live shaggy dog.  We might choose to expose its
> temperature or
> its weight, for example.

Exactly.

> The distinction drawn in Basel is
> that dogs are
> interestingly different from information resources because
> there exist
> essential aspects of the dog that are not conveyable in a
> machine-readable
> way.

This seems to be the key distinction.

Though the use of the word "convey" could still be misunderstood.
I believe it is being used here per sense 2a, given
http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=convey
though given sense 2b, one could imagine that communicating
information *about* the dog in a way "conveys" essential characteristics
of that dog. This is why I was trying to be brutally direct in simply
defining an information resource *as* information and avoid all the
high risk language about characteristics, essense, conveying, etc.

(isn't natural language a bitch? ;-)

Patrick