Re: Use of TLDs as content filtering mechanisms (.xxx or .sex)

Hi Graham,

On Mar 16, 2004, at 5:02 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I find myself wondering if this question is mis-directed:  what you
> raise is, I think, a social issue (with maybe a few technical
> ramifications).  As such, is the W3C *Technical* Architecture Group
> best-placed to consider it?

I agree that the use of .xxx as a means of restricting access to
certain types of content is, in the final analysis, a question of
social policy (human rights, child protection, etc.). That said, there
are better and worse technical mechanisms for fulfilling policy goals.
I'm really interested in the TAG's input on whether this idea makes
sense or not architecturally. I understand some aspects of Web
architecture to be preference and custom. Those can obviously change as
needed. Other architectural principles are more in the category of
lessons learned about directions that are either ineffective or
harmful. If there's reason to believe this proposal could benefit from
the latter sort of experience, ICANN ought to consider that.

> (In part, I raise this because it seems to me that your own background
> would make you at least as qualified in this area as the current TAG
> membership...)

Thanks for the kind words. :-)

Danny