Re: mixedUIXMLNamespace-33: Is this related to XHTML Modularisation?

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, 1:22:52 PM, Stuart wrote:

WS> Just wondering if the topic of mixedUIXMLNamespace-33[1] is
WS> related to XHTML modularisation?

It is related in being one, but not the only, example of where a
finding would help. XHTML Modularisation is just a way to write
complex, opaque, DTDs spread across multiple files that take
significant time to parse ;) as is SVG Modularisation which has the
same drawbacks. However, it does allow a careful human to write a
driver DTD that can do DTD validation on a mixed-namespace SVG and
XHTML document, given appropriate namespace prefix declarations as
parameter entities in the internal DTD subset.

The actual 'what does it mean' and 'how do I render this' questions
are not addressed explicitly in this modularisation approach but are
addressed implicitly in the design choices of the HTML and SVG WGs
when creating their modules. Its entirely possible for someone to use
the modularisdation approach to modularise or re-modularise a
specification such that it is entirely conformant to the
modularisation specification, instances can be made to validate
against it, and the result has zero meaning or contradicts chuncks of
human readable prose in the relevant spec. Its also possible to take
the existing modules and compose them in meaningless ways.

In other words, modularisation is an abstract tool for
specification writers.

The actual modularised XHTML 1.1 and SVG 1.1 specifications are
concrete tools, but still for specification writers.

The issue for content creators, of 'how do I make up a little XML
grammar that suits my needs and have it render' is not addressed by
modularisation nor is the issue of 'how do I get the links to work,
and include graphics and equations and ruby and ....'.

So I see this mixedUIXMLNamespaces-33 issue as being more aimed at
(serious) content creators and at creators of other, UI-oriented (in
the sense of directly renderable, document-like, namespaces) as to how
to combine the concrete tools that we provide with their own vertical
markup and have the whole thing do something more interesting than
emit 'yes' or 'no'.