RE: RDDL and XML Schema instances are not valid representations of namespaces

Erik,

As I've stated several times before, and will repeat again, I am
all for making useful information available to users (human or
otherwise). But I am also for seeing consistency in the Web
and SW architecture, and I find that treating RDDL instances
as "representations" of XML Namespaces to be inconsistent with
(my possibly incorrect understanding of) what representations
are intended/expected to be.

If the concept of representation is so broad as to allow RDDL
instances, then I find it useless. If it is narrower than RDDL
instances, then I see a problem.

What I am looking for is (a) a more explicit definition of
what a representation is and can be, (b) some treatment of
bit-equal representations of specific digital resources, and
(c) a consistent and intuitive means of obtaining knowledge
about resources rather than representations of them.

Larry Masinter just pointed out the PROPFIND functionality
of WebDAV, which seems to go along way towards providing
for (c), and would allow one to obtain RDDL like knowledge
without having to treat it as a representation.

Issue (b) has yet to be addressed anywhere, that I've seen.

Cheers,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com