Re: New URI scheme talk in RSS-land

Catching up on this old threads...

Patrick Stickler wrote:

> This is why the new-URI approach seems to go against the grain
> of the current web architecture.
>
> What is needed here is pretty simple. The browser needs to be
> extended ...

As thrilled as I am to see people considering the architectural
implications of decisions, itis not "simple" to "extend the browser".
The whole point of the effort is to make it easy for end-users and
end-users use a browser from a company that has all but stated that they
have no interest in promoting or improving standards-based browsers any
more.

A solution that works today is to treat the URL as data and put it in a
representation. It could go in the ATOM document itself but why not have
a URL that represents the feed as a whole, as distinct from today's data.

<feed subscriber-url="" rss1-url="" rss2-url="" atom-url=""
	blog-apis-supported="" updated="daily">
You are viewing this document in a program not equipped
to handle the MIME type text/atom-subscription . If you would
like to subscribe manually, use this URL: "http://...."
Click

</feed>

The "GET" is tiny, the format can be both human and machine readable,
the transient data is nicely separated from the permanent feed-specific
data, etc.

  Paul Prescod