    use:type[:typespecificextnoatsign]@urireference

So one can write links like the following
   use:rss@http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/ongoing.rss
or as href in a html page at www.tbray.org
or
webfolder</a>

Either browsers adopt the new meta scheme or one writes a single
application registered for "use:" uris which handles the forwarding
to all other apps.

The advantage of this approach over the feed:/cal:/whatever: uris
is that generic clients like wget can handle these uris with just
little changes as well.

Regards, Stefan