Re: New URI scheme talk in RSS-land

Mark Baker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The various RSS formats all seem(*) to include a link child element of
> channel, whose value is a URI of the weblog.  That's not the URI that is
> needed, I know, but declarations such as this seem widely used;
>
> <link rel='alternate' type='application/rss+xml' title='RSS' href='/ongoing/ongoing.rss' />
>
> (see http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/06/02/important_change_to_the_link_tag )
>
> Wouldn't that solve the problem (albeit at the cost of an extra GET)?

Yes, that would solve the problem for sites that do
RSS Autodiscovery, for whatever percentage of sites
do that. In the context of Atom, the format that
this most recently came up for, adding a link
element to the Atom feed that contains the URI
of the Atom feed also solves the problem. It also
looks like hooking a mime-type is easier than
hooking into a new URI scheme, at least under
Windows[1].

	-joe

[1] http://bitworking.org/news/Atom_Auto_Sub_How_To

--