Re: internet media types and encoding

Chris Lilley wrote:
> Unlike Rick I am not making this argument on the basis of the ease of
> detecting encoding labelling or conversion errors; rather, on the
> basis of those non-printing characters having no basis being in a
> marked up document. I mean, start of string? end of guarded area?

I profoundly agree with Chris here, but I had thought this issue to have
been long-since decided.  My vision of XML is that element content is
text, and text is a string of characters, and characters have the
semantics that Unicode says they have.  Most of the C0 and C1 control
characters have no useful or agreed-upon semantics, and they have no
place in XML under any circumstances.  Their inclusion substantially
decreases interoperability.  Do enough of the TAG agree that we should
take this up officially?  -Tim