Re: namespaceDocument-8: possible interaction with Namespaces in XML 1.1

Sorry for dupe, Tim.

>From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
>Larry Masinter wrote:
>
>>Let me turn this around: why do you think it's important to stamp
>>out the practice of using "urn" URIs for namespace names?
<snip>
>And I continue to think that permanence is an artifact of publisher's
>intention and community practice, rather than what comes before the first
>":".

While I think that having HTTP URIs, which could be dereferenced, is useful,
one obstacle in the way of HTTP URI permanence is the leasing of domain
names.  Since a domain I own today might slip out of my ownership, despite
the best intentions, any namespace I might allocate on that domain is
suspect.

Do we want to tackle permanent domain ownership, with titles and grants for
legal transfer?  ;)

It's useful (to me, at least) to note that I could own a domain, but no web
server at all, and still make legitimate claims to namespaces allocated
within that domain.

  -Jeremy