RE: lack of consensus on httpRange-14

Hi Graham,

I think David is agreeing with your idea.

The discussion in the TAG F2F in one direction went pretty much to the same
place as you suggest, albeit disambiguating Car and document about a car
with http://example.org/car and http://example.org/car.html each providing
identical representations but being different resources.

What the TAG seemed willing to agree on was that ambiguity is bad for the
Web. From TAG minutes [1]:

  TB: I suggest procedurally that we:

   1. For next arch doc: Change principles 2 and 7
      to be "Ambiguity in the relationship between
      URIs and resources is harmful for humans and
      machines." Two instances of ambiguity are
      (1) lack of resources and (2) confusion
      about what is identified. Such ambiguity
      easily arises; should be avoided. This can
      be done in practice. Add some examples.
   2. We don't need to say what range of HTTP URIs
      is for arch doc.

    TBL: I think that's reasonable, but doesn't
    address issue 14.

    Resolved: Accept TB's proposal for revised
    principle.

David was saying that what you proposed is in line with where we got to on
the issue.

The Matrix reference was a running joke on the existence of resources. I
still prefer "...and you think that's air that you're breathing!"

Cheers,

Stuart

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Oct/0018.html

URIs)