Re: Why not XHTML+RDF? was Re: Links are links

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Beyond XHTML, I think it is necessary to be able to say:
>
> <cv:doctor
>    cv:doctorate="http://.../university"
>    cv:specialty="http://.../"
>    cv:homepage="http://.../"/>
>
> Basically I should get the benefits of standardized link recognition
> without contorting my vocabulary around XLink at all.

OK, but let's think about user interface.  When I click on the cv:doctor
element I'd like to have a menu pop up saying
"Doctorate/Specialty/Homepage".   Where do I put that kind of per-link
labeling metadata?  Then generalize this question for *any* kind of
information that you might want to provide per-link-end.  Also think
about internationalization.  These were the considerations that drove
XLink to use subelements for link ends.  -Tim