Re: New issue: error recovery practices (Re: Proposed TAG Finding: Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use)

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 18:56:30 -0400
To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
cc: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

> So effectively I _think_ you're agreeing that specifications by
> themselves are more or less useless without requiring conformance from
> the implementations whose results _are_ the specification as far as most
> users and developers are concerned.

not useless - they do serve as a specification that implementors
at least consider attempting to adhere to - but this prevents neither
bugs nor proprietary extensions nor failure to implement new features
in a timely fashion.

otoh, a requirement in the specifications to change functionality in
a way which causes more pain to users (e.g. forbidding browser
interpretation of improperly-labelled content) is highly likely
to be ignored.

Keith