Re: New issue: error recovery practices (Re: Proposed TAG Finding: Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use)

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: 30 May 2002 10:50:52 -0400
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 10:38, Keith Moore wrote:
> >< > but if browsers told content-providers things like "I don't understand
> >< > this page, it probably looks horrible to your customers" then it would
> >< > tighten the feedback loop.
> ><
> >< If I believed that changing the messages the validator provided would
> >< have a positive effect, I would suggest it.
>
> note that I didn't make any suggestions at all about changing the validator.

Sorry, Keith, that message read like something a validator would say,
not a browser, and I slipped context.

So how exactly do you expect that to work in a browser context?  I don't
expect most developers would give a damn about errors like that winding
up in their server logs, and I'm still not sure I see the point.

If it doesn't interfere with the user experience, 90% of designers and
clients won't even see it.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!