Re: New issue: error recovery practices (Re: Proposed TAG Finding: Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use)

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 23:59, Keith Moore wrote:

> > I would be stunned if a client whose site looked horrible in their
> > preferred browser would be content with "but the W3C validator says it's
> > perfect".
>
> almost nobody cares what the validator says, because the validator isn't
> that good a predictor of how things will look to the customer.
>
> but if browsers told content-providers things like "I don't understand
> this page, it probably looks horrible to your customers" then it would
> tighten the feedback loop.

If I believed that changing the messages the validator provided would
have a positive effect, I would suggest it.  However, my real point is
that the browser is the ultimate arbiter of what works, not the
validator.  I don't think any level of improvement to the validator -
except perhaps turning it into a browser - is going to change that.

If you don't modify user-agent behavior, the feedback loop will remain
limp and mostly useless.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!