Re: New issue: error recovery practices (Re: Proposed TAG Finding: Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use)

Chris Lilley wrote:

> TB>  For example, I
> TB> (perhaps in a minority) am OK with HTML processors being very liberal in
> TB> what they accept; it helps let everyone publish to the web.
>
> Hopefully you are in a minority there.
> So no, it does not "let everyone publish to the web". It just costs
> the development community zillions of dollars and hours of needless
> wasted work in attempting to get something with minimal display
> functionality on a handful of browser/OS combinations, screws everyone
> else, is minimally accessible or internationalized and can't ever
> change...

Stop holding back Chris, tell us what you *really* think :)

Let me rephrase that.  It was a good thing that in the period up to 1995
or so, web browsers *were* liberal with HTML, because it did let
everyone publish to the Web.

> Of course. I just don't buy into keeping that advantage on the server.
> Its just too useful to ignore. We need real XML clients, now.

That's the right answer.  It's maddening that in A.D. 2002 the popular
browsers are still not very good at being XML clients.  -Tim