HTTP issues/forums [ was: Re: ETags Re: The range of the HTTP dereference function ]

On Sunday, March 31, 2002, at 11:35  AM, Larry Masinter wrote:
> there's been no current charatered activity working through the
> HTTP-for-web issues. (This is out of scope for WEBI and OPES, I think.)

I'd agree with that assessment.

There's been discussion in the IETF of a cleanup of 2616, but my
impression what that its focus was editorial clarification only (and I
haven't heard much about it since London).

There's also been some movement towards coordination between Web-related
groups in the IETF, but so far the focus seems to be on defining
'content networking' (an area that IMHO the W3C needs to be aware of, if
only for damage limitation) rather than issues of this nature.

Coincidentally, one of the more recent efforts [1] is to define a
content networking taxonomy to build on RFC3040 [2]. It's still unclear
how the terms there will relate to 'document' and
'resource/representation'; there seems to be some potential overlap with
discussions here, so I'd encourage people to weigh in.