Re: SOAP breaks HTTP?

Paul,

I think Henrik's point is valid. A developer can abuse
HTTP without introducing SOAP or SOAP RPC. That doesn't
invalidate the HTTP spec, just the developers interpretation
of it (if they even read the RFC, which I seriously doubt!).

The fact is that the HTTP binding in the SOAP Part 2 spec[2]
is but one in the set of possible bindings to
HTTP. It is NOT exclusive. There was much discussion of
use of URI encoding of SOAP requests for use with HTTP
GET, but the WG didn't and likely won't go there this
time round.

That doesn't mean that a more complete and "restful" binding
can't or won't be developed by someone at some point in the
future.

To quote the SOAP 1.2 Part 2 spec directly, from section
7 SOAP HTTP Binding:

	The purpose of the SOAP HTTP Binding is to provide a binding of
	SOAP to HTTP. It is important to note that use of the SOAP HTTP
	Binding is optional and that nothing precludes the specification
	of different bindings to other protocols, or indeed to define
	other bindings to HTTP. Because of the optionality of using the
	SOAP HTTP Binding, it is NOT a requirement to implement it as
	part of a SOAP node. A node that does correctly and completely
	implement the HTTP binding me to be said to "conform to the SOAP 	1.2 HTTP
binding."

Cheers,

Chris