Re: boundaries for the Web

On 21 Mar 2002, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> So what is the Web?
>
> Conservatively, I'd suggest that:
> The Web is a hypertext-based system built around the Hypertext Transfer
> Protocol which uses a combination of marked-up information and software
> to convey information to people.
>
> I'm quite aware that definition is constraining, but I'd be happy to
> hear others which provide constraints.

I agree that we need scoping for these things:

*  What the W3C works on
*  What the TAG defines
*  What "Web architecture" needs to be compatible with (e.g. IETF
definition of "Internet architecture"

However, I don't think we necessarily need to get into too many food
fights over the term "Web architecture" itself.  So, I think Mark Baker's
proposed definition could be o.k., so long as later parts of the document
*are* properly scoped.

That said, I would suggest somehow working the following set of
constraints into the wording:

"Web architecture" generally consists of defining applications that
utilize one or more of the following architectures:
*  XML architecture
*  URI architecture
*  HTTP architecture

...as well as future extensions and replacements for those key components.

"Web architecture" relies heavily on "Internet architecture".  Key
components of Internet architecture which the W3C relies on include:
*  Media Type (MIME type) architecture
*  Protocol architecture

However, if these ideas aren't made clear in the intro, that's probably
ok, so long as discussion of these boundries occurs at some point.

Rob