Re: Background information on GET and XForms (was: GET should be encouraged...)

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> Paul, how do the semantics of the two things you described differ?
> The google results page is exactly what happens when  "accepts and
> processes data".

I meant "accept persistently". Accept for further processing in the
future.

> The only problem is when the URI gets really very long indeed.

This sounds more like an implementation issue than an architecture
issue. The "fix" should not change any architectural principles. In
particular, given an HTTP URI, I would like to be able to decide whether
to use the "new method" or GET to retreive the information based only on
the length of the URI and not based on pre-arrangement with the service
provider.

In other words, if I want to translate a word into French I send it to a
service using standard GET. If I want to translate a book then I use
BIG-GET. But the definition of BIG-GET should be such that translating a
word through BIG-GET is always semantically equivalent to translating it
through GET.

 Paul Prescod