Re: "canonical" URIs

On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 10:04  AM, David Orchard wrote:

> TAG members,
>
> I don't see URI comparison officially listed as a TAG issue.  I'd like
> Joseph/Stephen's issue added to the TAG issues list.
>
> Equivalence rules for URIs are defined by the URI scheme.  HTTP has a
> section on URI comparison.
>
> However, XML does not have a default comparison function for the XML
> Schema
> anyURI data type.  I think a reasonable approach would be to say that
> the
> default comparision function for anyURI is to use the HTTP URI
> comparison
> algorithm, but that it is overridable by any scheme.

I'd be wary of any default beyond string = string; anything more implies
a fairly complete list of URIs that might be encountered, as well as
well-understood canonicalisation for each of them; IMHO we don't have
either.

What would be very useful would be a canonicalisation framework along
the lines that Tim suggested, to give spec writers something to refer to.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/