Re: Summary: Section 2: What does a URI identify?

Norman Walsh wrote:

> My reading of 'however' leads to exactly the semantics described in
> our draft. If you need to do another GET for the resource identified
> by #foo, you use "the base URI of the current document". That is not
> the same as saying "the current base URI".

As I said, the issue here is applications that aren't necessarily interested
in GETting a resource representation (and this is why RFC 2396 needs
cleaning up -- URIs and URI references are being used in ways that don't
appear entirely well described by the RFC).

Until xml:base, the two were the same: "base URI of current document" and
"current base URI".

Your question is "What does a URI _identify_". I have said that a URI +
fragment identifier need not _identity_ a piece of the resource
representation returned on dereferencing the URI, rather the URI + fragment
identifier might _identify_ a "thing".

Jonathan