RE: [namespaceDocument-8]: format for machine readable content

David,

I like the spirit of this.

> My biggest concern is that I don't think the TAG should be precluded from
> writing syntax.  IMHO, that would be a terrible mistake.

I agree with that too... need to give some thought too... I guess that
explicit TAG member participation (because of TAG membership) would be as an
invited expert as opposed to participation as normal WG members (because of
member company interest).

> But the process I suggested about would address the fact that
> some group is going to have to do the real work and ongoing maintenance.

:-)

> From a process perspective, I don't see the difference between an
> Architecture Recommendation and a Recommendation.  It seems that the
> difference is that an Architecture Recommendation has a broader scope.
> So Namespaces itself would be considered an Architecture Recommendation -
we
> seem to believe that Namespaces is a fundamental principle.

Not sure.... the Namespaces REC gets to the concrete syntax of how to
declare and use XML Namespaces in namespace documents.

I think it is less clear architecturally about the properties of a
namespace.

The main architectural principle in the namespaces rec is that NS's are
named by URI.

Areas where more architectural clarity would be useful about:

 - The (intended) relationship (if any) between terms that inhabit the same
namespace.

 - The (intended) relationship (if any) between terms that inhabit different
namespaces.

 - The namespaces inhabited by unqualified element names and unqualified
attribute names
   (the Non-Normative Annex)

 - The (intended) relationship (if any) between an XML namespace and the
vocabulary of an XML
   application (language)

 - The (intended) relationship (if any) between an XML language and the XML
Namespaces from which
   its vocabulary is drawn (eg. xlink: is intended to be used in the defn of
other languages).

There are probably many more like this...

> Cheers,
> Dave

Regards

Stuart