Re: Draft rewrite of Arch TOC Intro clause

In a message dated 4/1/02 12:06:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tbray@textuality.com writes:

> I have an action item to do some editing the third bullet point in
>    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/intro

Hi All,

After reading this, I wonder if a fourth item may be necessary.
It currently states the architecture consists of 3 parts: URI,
protocols and data formats.

But what provides an understanding of where elements fit
in the architecture?  For example, What technologies are layered?
Or whether any existing technologies have overlapping functionality.
Should the TAG consider creating a framework (similar to the OSI model) that
correlates function to form (possibly including form not yet in existence for
functions not yet fulfilled)?

In my work for clients, I am often asked to disambiguate the alphabet soup
in this fashion.  And they ask in plain English: "Where does this fit and
why do I care about it?"

Best wishes,

 - Mike
Michael C. Daconta