Re: SVG's future

Hi

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:04 PM, グルチヤンラミン <ktecramin99@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am wondering when people from svg will finally comment on this.
> For sure there must be a 'need' for writing standards.

I expect most don't watch this list too closely, since most spec discussion
is on Github.
Note I'm no longer an SVG WG member, but I'm not seeing very much activity
since I've left. As far as I can tell, the W3C hasn't rechartered the SVG
WG for 2017 yet.

The browsers are the ones you need to be talking to, but they have already
spoken.
We solicited feedback on what features of SVG 2 they are likely to
implement. The data is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kkqzcxY53h7liRYppLSSFG2sjaJ8V8TCP5rWLZK0AxA/edit?usp=sharing

Also, the browsers have not been very active on the SVG WG during 2016,
which speaks to their priorities. In my opinion, It's not due to
maliciousness, but resource constraints, but I'm not going to get into that
side of this thread.

To change their mind, you'll need to do the following:
1. Show a real need for these features - demonstrate use cases and get
author feedback that they want this feature
2. Find someone with resources to create a second independent
implementation in a browser

To achieve (1), it seems the WICG (https://discourse.wicg.io/c/html/svg) is
the preferred forum for discussion, though the SVG area is a ghost town.
But to make your case there you will need supporters who want to see this
implemented, so you will need to perform some kind of outreach to people
who you think would use these vector-effects extensions.

To achieve (2), if you get enough support at step (1), you may be able to
lobby browsers to implement the vector-effects. Another option is to find a
third party commercial organisation who could sponsor an implementation. An
organisation like Igalia could be contracted to create the implementation
after you have had confirmation that the browsers will accept the feature.
However, if a pathway to get the feature in ALL browsers isn't identified,
then even with a second implementation, the feature will never be a success.

I know this all seems like a big backwards step after the work that has
been put into SVG 2 already, but that's the reality of the situation. Mesh
gradients would have been a game changer for SVG, but it seems they are
never going to be implemented either.

I wish you luck,
Nikos.